Silver Restoration Medal Winner 1976-1986
- The Casino at Marino
- Award Year: 1976-1986
- Location: Dublin
The Casino is acknowledged internationally as being the earliest, and possibly the most important example of the evolution of stylistic taste which introduced Neo-Classical architecture into Ireland and England. It has been restored with care and restraint, and in its present form complies perfectly with the objectives and aspirations of RIAI in founding the Restoration medal.
The assessors were impressed by the intensive research undertaken by the architects based on a scientific examination of the building fabric, an assessment of William Chamber’s correspondence and his 1759 treatise on Civil architecture. This formed the background to the restoration of the exotic woods in the inlaid floor of the Saloon and the recreation of the decorative interiors of the 1770’s. The complex technical problem of repairs to the finely joined limestone ashlar and the waterproofing of the basement vaults are highly successful.
The construction work, completed in 1985, was carried out by operatives of the OPW.